Monday, May 14, 2007

Day 3

This is my desk at work, as seen at the happiest time of the workday... time to go home. Notice that I am surrounded by pictures of happy times and places. I consider myself a hard worker; I always have been. Right now, though, it's tough to try that hard. I am having all the typical office grind without the travel and adventure that has made this job enjoyable so far.

Perhaps it's because I spent so long working with my hands, but I get much more satisfaction out of training the customers than I do out of working on tasks in the office. The common thread, of course, being that at the end of the day I can stand back and take stock of what I accomplished. Once upon a time it would have been building a wall or loading a truck, and now it is imparting knowledge. While I'm stuck in the office, there is none of that. The only tangible effect of my effort is a slightly reduced list of things to do the next day.

In February, I made my discontent known, and the powers that be offered me a new project with potential for the kind of work I find satisfying and enjoyable, and in return I agreed not to leave the group or the company. In the back of my mind, I told myself I would give the new project six months to take shape, then reevaluate. I know it's only been about two months so far, but it doesn't look very promising. I do want to stay with the company, but it has to be in a position with more potential than what my current one seems to promise.

We'll see, I guess.

No comments:

 
\